The Best 10 Delicious Diabetic Smoothie Recipes
For a long time, people living with diabetes didn’t get to enjoy many delicious options due to diet restrictions.
But not anymore.
Today, I’m giving you my best 10 smoothie recipes especially crafted for diabetics. They are ideal for you, whether you are a type 1 or type 2 diabetic.
My parents are diabetic and most of my extended family has diabetes too.
We had to learn to live with it, and we've found smoothies to be a great solution - provided we chose the right ingredients, as I'll show you here.
Fighting Diabetes Type 2 ?
It’s important that through my experience, you’ll have a helpful new tool to live a wholesome life. You can now develop a meal plan with diabetic smoothies being a part of your everyday diet.
My mother used to complain that her meals were boring. She would skip meals everyday, which caused her agony, as her blood sugar levels would decrease so rapidly.
And now, with these smoothies, she’s always looking forward to her meal times. Her sugar levels are stable and she’s never been happier.
Want to lose weight with smoothies?
Get my secret smoothie recipes e-book for free!
Delicious * Easy * Quick
How smoothies can be good for Diabetes
You may have thought that smoothies are laden with sugar. It’s true for many store-bought options, but at home you’re in perfect control. This is what prompted me to look up recipes to make low sugar, diabetic friendly smoothies.
The best part?
These are more than delicious treats. They are low calorie recipes for healthy smoothies to help you lose weight.
You’ll appreciate how quick they are to make, especially on those days you’re too busy to cook or too lazy. Other days, you just need a cold refreshing drink.
Nutrients found in the fruits and vegetables go a long way in balancing your glucose levels and help you control your weight at the same time.
Ideal ingredients for diabetic smoothies
It’s important to remember that your smoothie is as healthy or unhealthy as the ingredients you include in it.
There are ingredients known to help regulate blood sugar levels, and smoothies provide a great opportunity to ensure you get them each and every day!
The American Diabetes Association has published a list of the ten foods that every diabetics should eat, to superpower your diet.
These foods have a low glycemic index (GI) and provide important nutrients that you don’t usually find in sufficient quantities in the typical western diet, such as: calcium, potassium, fiber, magnesium, vitamins A (as carotenoids), C, and E.
Know someone expecting? Let them know about these pregnancy smoothie recipes!
Out of the superfoods recommended by the ADA, here are the ones that we believe are ideal for diabetic smoothies:
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables (spinach, collards, kale - see here for smoothies) - as they’re low in calories and carbs, they’re an ideal superfood to add to your smoothies.
- Citrus Fruit (grapefruit, oranges, lemons) - use a freshly squeezed juice for a good dose of vitamin C, or cut into cubes for an added soluble fiber. A juicer-blender combo appliance would be useful here. Check out blender food processor combo reviews here!
- Sweet Potatoes - they add vitamin A and fiber, but also a creamy texture and sweetness to your smoothies!
- Berries - whichever type you choose, berries will enrich your smoothies with antioxidants, vitamins and fiber, while also adding great color and taste.
- Nuts and seeds - provide healthy fats and magnesium. Either use nut butters to add creaminess to your smoothies, or grind flaxseed for an added boost of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Fat-free Milk and Yogurt - if you’re non-vegetarian, this would be the base liquid of choice for your smoothies
The best Diabetic-friendly smoothie recipes
After comprehensive searches I found several really good recipes, and also brainstormed and tested my own ideas for diabetic friendly smoothies, so here they are.
In some of the recipes you’ll see I opt for berries instead of other fruits like melons. This is because berries are said to have lower content of carbohydrates per serving. This is ideal for diabetics as it keeps your glucose levels balanced.
It's not to say that you can't have other fruits. Absolutely not. Use other fruits of your choice but in a limited quantity.
Feel free to change an ingredient or two. Use what you have.
Check out tropical smoothie ingredients here!
I have tried using simple products easily available at your home or local stores.
I hope you will enjoy making these smoothies! Feel free to experiment with the ingredients to find your ultimate smoothie. Your mealtimes should not have to be so bland anymore!
Lets toast a smoothie to a healthy life!
What’s your favorite diabetic-friendly smoothie recipe? Let us know in the comments below: