Wheatgrass Smoothie Recipes – 7 Yummy and Healthy Shakes
Wheatgrass is so famous for its health benefits, and I know quite a lot of fans who juice it each and every day.
Many dislike the taste of fresh wheat grass shots, but there’s a way to drink it and actually enjoy it!
Here you’ll find the healthiest, most delicious wheatgrass smoothie recipes that actually turn this green into a treat!
Before we get to the recipes, let’s first see what it actually is, and why it is such a great addition to your healthy nutrition:
Health Benefits of Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass is often hailed for its health benefits, and here are the ones that are backed by studies:
- Fights cancer: Aside from providing maximum nutrition benefits, it has been shown to stimulate healthy tissue growth as well as aid in building red blood cells.
- Wound healing: Full of concentrated chlorophyll, wheatgrass can help with wound healing inside and out. It also increases hemoglobin, which carries oxygen in the blood.
- Stabilizes blood sugar: This is of particular interest to diabetics who struggle to get their sugars under control.
- Slows the aging process: Wheatgrass has enzymes that are linked to the slowing up of aging. It has also been claimed to prevent gray hair. Now, that’s what we call natural anti-aging. Does it really work? We didn’t find serious long-term studies, however we’d rather go for a nutritious solution such as Wheatgrass, than any kind of treatment that has negative side effects!
- Combats chronic diseases such as asthma, Parkinson's, joint pains, constipation, hypertension, bronchitis, insomnia, eczema, obesity, and many others.
- Cleanses the blood and liver: We are surrounded by toxins. Wheatgrass is loaded with antioxidants that will help us combat toxins.
- Prevents tooth decay: It restricts bacterial growth and draws out toxins.
- Heart healthy: It can reduce blood pressure and lower cholesterol. Regulates the heartbeat and dilates blood vessels.
- Concentrated nutrients: Wheatgrass provides a healthy dosage of concentrated nutrients such as vitamins A, B, C and E; magnesium, iron, calcium, zinc and amino acids.
How much Wheatgrass should I consume a day?
As with other ingredients, wheatgrass should be consumed in moderation.
1-2 fluid ounces of fresh-squeezed juice a day, or 1 tablespoon wheat grass powder a day is enough. More than that and you're burdening your body and might experience nausea.
When you combine it in a smoothie or shake recipe it might be very tempting to consume a large amount, however always bear in mind these guidelines, and consult an RD regarding your personal health circumstances.
Each of the recipes below give their own quantity, however feel free to vary it according to your preferences.
Can I easily grow it at home?
Growing wheatgrass at home is more easy than you think. This video we found on YouTube shows an easy method you can do even if you don't have a green thumb:
How to use Wheat Grass in Smoothies
The most recommended way to incorporate it in your smoothies is to first extract its juice using a dedicated juicer such as this one.
Masticating wheatgrass juicers are the number one choice, and they would ensure that the maximum amount of nutrients is preserved.
As soon as you've extracted the juice, pour it to your blender jar to be used as the liquid base for the smoothie.
2. Wheatgrass powder
This is the easiest method of incorporating wheatgrass in your smoothies - just add a teaspoon of powder and you're all set.
Just be sure to buy a powder brand that's reputable and have received good user reviews, to be sure you're getting the highest quality and best taste.
We especially like the Amazing Grass brand organic powder.
A similar alternative is getting the wheatgrass concentrate in the form of tablets. As far as reputable brands go, we like the Pines tablets.
3. Using a blender
This method is the quickest (apart from just using a powder), but it isn't the most effective in extracting the full benefits out of the wheatgrass.
It's also limited to high powered blenders, since weak blenders may not break the tough fibers effectively enough, which could result in digestive difficulties. Read on to learn how to do it...
Can Wheat Grass be blended?
The surprising short answer is - yes. You don't need an expensive juicer to extract the juice from wheatgrass. You can just use your blender!
However, if you'd like to prepare a wheatgrass smoothie, bear in mind that putting wheatgrass in a blender together with the rest of the smoothie ingredients and hitting the "blend" button would not get you great results. You first need to blend the wheat grass, then the rest of the ingredients.
This video shows how easy it is to extract the base wheatgrass juice using a blender:
Then, when you have the wheatgrass juice ready, just put it back into the blender jar and add the rest of the smoothie ingredients.
Wonders Of Wheatgrass (WOW) - Our Delicious Smoothie Recipes
Let’s admit it - if you try wheatgrass for the first time, there’s a good chance you’re not going to like the taste. I know I certainly didn’t.
If you include the wheat grass in a smoothie, along with other vegetables and fruits you like, then you’ll be able to enjoy its benefits without the need to overcome the taste barrier.
Scroll down to find the best recipes we’ve collected. They’re all smoothie recipes that are not only super healthy, but also delicious!
Wheatgrass Wrap Up
I hope you enjoyed reading about these tasty wheatgrass smoothies; simple, nutritious and oh, so good!
It would be our pleasure to hear about your our recipes and what nutritional goodness you have incorporated in your smoothies.
If you enjoyed this article, please pass it on to your family and friends - the easiest way is by clicking on the buttons below!
Also, follow us on Pinterest so you don’t miss out on recipes, tips and tricks. Bon Appetit!